For your expedition in desert, do not forget :
- warm sleeping bag
- one or two water flasks
- toilet paper
- sun cream
- lip stick
- one or two torch lights with spare batteries (frontal lamps recommended)
- supply of films and spare batteries for your camera
- loose clothes, preferably in cotton
- a pair of sandals and a pair of walking or sport shoes
- a little bag which you will always keep with you (mandatory for trekking)
- your cheques and credit cards are useless here, even at the bank of
December and early January : 20 to 25¼ C during day and 0 to 10¼ C during
night (bring very warm clothes for cold evenings).
November and February : 20 to 30¼ C; during day and 8 to 18¼ C; during
During March, temperatures vary between 30 and 35¼ C during day and 15
and 25¼ C during night.
The rest of the year, temperatures can be hot during day but nights are
To get your visa for Niger :
You can either get your visa when flying directly
to Niamey, or from the Niger embassy of your home country.
Embassy in the USA is at 2204 R St NW, Washington
DC 20008, phone (227-483 4224). There is no Niger embassy in the UK: you can
try the embassy of Ivory Coast. The French embassy will be of no help.
In all cases, you will need at least three passport
photos and sometimes proof of yellow fever vaccination. Visas are normally
issued without hassle.
Yellow fever is compulsory, and is to be made in special centre.
Protection against malaria is advised, see your doctor about it.